I am so excited to share this DIY headboard project with y’all! A store bought headboard is usually pretty pricey, so that wasn’t an option for most of my rooms. A headboard really pulls a room together, so I had to get creative in order to make a cheap yet chic headboard for this jazzy room!
The solution to this headboard issue came to me while cleaning out my grandfather’s storage unit. My mom and I found stacks of old records and knew we had to put them to use in the jazz room.
First, I decided to use 15 records (three down, five across for the queen size bed) and then I had to find a way to mount them on the wall. I decided to purchase corkboard squares from Lowe’s (packs of four for $8.00 each) and spray paint them red to go with the red and black color scheme.
Next, I used Gorilla Glue (miracle worker…if you don’t have this stuff, run out and get it now! It’s amazing) to affix the records to the corkboard. I put some heavy books on top of each record so that they would really adhere to the corkboard.
After letting them dry for about five hours, I put a silver tack (purchased a pack of these from Staples for about $3.00) in the middle for a decorative effect.
I mounted them above the bed using small nails at each corner. You’ll get to see what the whole bed looks like when I do the “big reveal” in two weeks!
Valspar Red Spray Paint: $3.97
Four packs of Corkboard Squares: $8.00 each ($32.00 total)
Gorilla Glue: $4.99
Total Cost of Project: $43.96